Jul. Henr. Zimmerman violin #4044, Leipzig
Music publisher Julius Heinrich Zimmerman set up an instrument making factory in St Petersburg in 1895, staffed by German violin makers from Saxony. He marketed the resulting instruments through his branch company in Leipzig, as well as St Petersburg, before relocating to Markneukirchen in 1908. His violins, of which this is a very good example, are well-made and well-regarded. Good quality acoustic wood has been enhanced by a golden red-brown varnish and skillful antiquing work. The tone is clear, sweet, and characterful across all four strings, and the violin speaks freely, with good articulation.