E. A. Burr violin #155, Wellington 1935
Edward Burr was New Zealand’s first full-time professional violin maker, establishing his Wellington workshop in 1921 and working until at least 1935, when this, his last recorded violin (#155) was made. During that time, he produced well over 100 violins and six cellos. This violin is typically modelled after the Anglo-French School, with cleanly executed edges and corners, and an evenly-applied, honey-brown oil varnish. The tone is lively and well-balanced, with good clarity and projection in the higher registers of all four strings.